Attempting to install ESXi on an Intel J1900 results in an error. The boot process freezes on:
Relocating modules and starting up the kernel…
The fix can be found at: an archive of the original blog post
- At the ESXi boot screen, press
Shift+Oto open the boot options prompt.
- In the boot options line that appears, add the following after a space at the end of the line:
- After the installation finishes, boot into ESXi using the
- Press F2, go to Troubleshooting Options, and select “Enable ESXi Shell”.
Alt+F1to switch to the login terminal (ESXi shell).
- Log in using the credentials for the root user for that ESXi host.
- Run the following command:
esxcfg-advcfg --set-kernel "TRUE" ignoreHeadless.
- Check the kernel option status to make sure it was applied:
esxcfg-advcfg --get-kernel ignoreHeadless.
Ctrl+D) to log out of the ESXi shell.
- Switch back to the ESXi menu screen with
- Disable the ESXi Shell.
- Reboot the ESXi host to confirm that the boot parameter was saved properly.
Enjoy running ESXi on a tiny Celeron :)